Tuesday 25 November 2008

Me and Amy.....








Well, hi there everyone. I know that it's been a few days since my last post - but I've been in the big smoke visiting family and friends and touching base with the whirlwind that is life in Sydney. And, I've been hanging out here - with the one and only Amy Butler!
I was so excited when my friend Janine - who I worked with for many years at The Lifestyle Channel - called to say that Amy was heading to Sydney to give a talk on her life as a designer and a generally fabulous creative person. Of course, I had to go!

Organised by the great people at Living Creatively (an Australian website devoted to all things creative and crafty) - her talk went for about two hours and gave a wonderful insight into Amy's design process, the way that she runs her business and her life in general. I was heartened to hear that her business has been going for about 10 years and that its growth has been a very slow and steady evolution. So often we hear that peoples successes happen overnight - however, anyone involved in business knows that it takes a long time and much dedication before a business finds its wings.

 It was lovely to be able to meet her after the talk - and she very graciously posed for this pic - which I thought you might like to see.  Amy is soooo tall that even in my high heels I look like a 'shrimp' next to her! But what a lovely gal - and what a hunk her hubby is! Of course, I have to indulge and post a few of my fave Amy Butler pics from her site. Hope they give you a little inspiration too....



15 comments:

Kathleen said...

Lucky you Shannon...I have seen her photographed with lots of my group members at various quilt shows and she does seem to be very friendly and hard working. What is this about a hunky hubby..what no photo for us to drool over? LOL

You did not happen to be in Randwick at some stage this week did you? I thought for a split second I saw someone who looked like you...she was vivacious like you anyway! Hope you are still having fun here visiting family and friends. Did you bring the children or are they too involved in school?

Oh final question...does this mean you no longer work at the Lifestyle Channel? I loved Home and the filler snippets you used to do on design for the channel...unless those snippets [for want of the right word] were small snippets of Home episodes that I missed.

You are so right about successful businesses as well. And it is s great when people like Amy are so willing to share some of the things which have helped make her a business a success. Am so glad you were able to do this Shannon..creative people need beauty around them where they live and you have that but they need to meet other creatives too.

Shannon Fricke said...

Hi Kathleen,
It was a great pleasure to meet Amy and to get some insights into how she makes things work. As much as I love hanging out here on the farm, it's always fun to see how others are doing things too. Re hunky hubby - I can't believe that I didn't get a shot for you all to see - believe me though when I say - he's hunky! And seems like a sweetheart too.
No, that wasn't me in Randwick this week - although it could have been because I do spend a lot of time around the east when I'm in Sydney.
And last, but never least, sadly HOME has finished and so all of those lovely snippets that you see are from old shows. But watch this space Kathleen, you never know what may pop up in the future!
Sx

MelinSing said...

Great to see her featured - I have her fabulous book "Midwest Modern" - I adore her house; and I have got to agree with you on the hubby...yummm

Ness Lockyer said...

Shannon,
That would have been fantastic. I love her fabrics and have used quite a few of her patterns. It is great to hear that Amy isn't another overnight success story...makes me feel better. I feel like this shop of mine is never going to open!
Ness xx

Kathleen said...

Ooh great... am watching this space as clearly would not know you in the street if I did see you!!!
Kathleen
xx

Shannon Fricke said...

Keep the faith Ness and keep smiling - it will all come together!
sx

Cass said...

I was at the Amy event too and it was a great night and I have to agree her hubby is very hunky.

LIBERTY POST EDITOR said...

How wonderful that you had this experience. I would have loved to hear her speak. She is a great mentor for millions of women. (As are you Shannon)

oldflowers4me said...

oooooooohhhhh-how lucky are you-it must of been a great day-

Shannon Fricke said...

Hi Cass,
Wasn't it fab - such a sweetheart and such great ideas - particularly for small business owners and those wanting to get something up and running. A real treat.
sx

Porchlight Interiors said...

So wish I could have been there to see Amy's talk! Thanks for posting about it - very good to hear that she worked hard to get where she is - very encouraging! Tracey x

Shannon Fricke said...

Work hard; keep the faith but most of all keep smiling. That's my motto. Nothing worthwhile comes easily - otherwise where would we find satisfaction in this funny old world. sx

pve design said...

Oh how wonderful. I adore Amy and her designs and how she infuses everything with peace, light, pattern and exudes a "can do" for many. Your blog is inspiring and lovely!

Ju said...

I would have done anything to be in the same room as Amy Butler!!!lucky you :)

Anonymous said...

Wow Shannon, you lucky thing. I love her fabrics.
Karen