Thursday 11 February 2010

Ice House Detroit...




I've had so many emails lately from my blogging friends in America who are freezing under a mound of snow right now and so this post is for you!
Have you heard of the Ice House in Detroit - an architectural ice installation and social change project created in an abandoned house in Detroit by architect Matthew Radune and photographer Gregory Holm? I was sent a link to their blog from a friend (who is living in the UAE desert!) and was immediately mesmerized. It reminds me that, with love and constant tending, beauty can be created against a backdrop of abandonment. What a project huh! 


4 comments:

Tina said...

Oh my goodness Shannon, what amazing photos!! Thank you for sharing, I am off to read more about this project!! ~ Tina.

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

Increible images. I'm really loving all the posts from the northern hemisphere about snow/ice/and anything that is the antithesis of summer :)

makes me think if Bon Iver's song 'blood bank'....just a moody kind of relationship that i'm loving.

Unknown said...

fantastic project, great shots! however my thin south african blood still turns to ice in this weather - after all these years! lol

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Amazing photo! Okay, I don't feel nearly as bad. After all, the west coast is having a very mild winter which is where I'm located. Although I would love to see Vancouver receive more snow for the Olympic's sake.
Beautiful opening ceremonies last night.