Thursday 7 January 2010

Blessings for 2010...

Happy 2010 Everyone...

Hi all,
Well, we're back on board and all systems go for 2010 after a lovely two week break with the family, spent in beautiful Bali - the land of luscious green rice paddies, dainty offerings and much, much more.
It was wonderful to be back in Bali again. The last time I was there was about nine years ago when the children were only small and we spent much of our time confined to the pool.
This time, we hopped on our vespas, kids on the back, and really got into the life that is Bali. We spent most of our time up in beautiful Ubud - the land of yoga, health, rainy afternoons and Eat, Pray, Love (of course!). Ubud is such a lovely tranquil place to be - the people are still very traditional and the pace is much slower than the usual tourist haunts of Kuta and Legian. Most of all, I loved that Ubud and the happy and so, so beautiful Balinese people reminded me of the virtues of simplicity - of how peace and quiet can help you feel whole and how at the end of the day, we really don't require very much to feel satisfied.
This year, I'm hoping to keep the Balinese spirit alive within - where I am grateful for the smallest things and find peace in the moment rather than wondering what is around ever corner. It's not going to be easy (!)  - I am a planner to a fault - but I love a challenge.
And so, welcome 2010 - a year filled with peace and tranquility. And decorating workshops (I hope you guys can make it to beautiful Bangalow to share a day of decorating fun with me), expanding the vegetable garden and planting more trees! Oh, and tinkering with my new product range! Oh, and getting fit and healthy! Oh, and maybe doing some more writing (I feel that there's a another book hiding away inside me somewhere)! And, well - a little renovating and redecorating! Oh goodness - I told you it wasn't going to be easy!!! Om....



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that sounds like a fantastic holiday! We are heading to Bali in May, for the first time, and I am really looking forward to seeing the 'real' Bali. You are so right about the peace within, I think we are all so busy, and surrounded by so much noise, that we lose that sense of contented stillness, and I am looking forward to finding it again! Best of luck with your workshops... they sound great!
:)

Shannon Fricke said...

How wonderful Flick - you are going to love Bali. Ensure that you spend each morning on the massage table and each afternoon by the pool! Or, if you're up in Ubud, head to the Yoga Barn for a yoga session or two! You'll feel like a new person!!!
Have fun.
sx

Leah Moss said...

You are one busy woman! I'll be happily checking into your blog--I hope you share some reno photos. Your blog is one of my absolute favorites. So inspiring, fresh, peaceful and invigorating!

Mez said...

Hi Shannon, I holidayed in Bali 11 years ago and had a fantastic time, we spent most of our time thriving in the hustle and bustle of Legian and Kuta!Now in my early 30's I can relate to the virtues of simplicity you talked about, it's so true of how peace and quiet can help you feel whole, saying that I think Ubud will be my first stop when I one day return to Beautiful Bali. I'm absolutely loving your Blog, keep it coming, Fantastic!!

jules @ The Diversion Project said...

That "just back from a lovely summer holiday" feeling should come in a jar shouldn't it?!! Just sensational.

Enjoyed hearing about bali - we're so close here in the west, it's probably easier and cheaper to get to Bali than it is to head to Sydney...but have never been. Should make it there some day soon, sounds very relaxing!

All the best for great things to come in 2010 : )

jules

oldflowers4me said...

ooooooooooohhhhhh-we where in bali in december -my hand is so over my heart...our children had the best time ever and our miss jessy opal flew in to meet us as well...

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had a wonderful time here. I live in Bali now. It has definitely changed a lot the past several years and more changes underway on a weekly basis. Having worked in Economic Development before, I love to see development, but ultimately, the vast development here in Bali saddens me due to the change in the natural beautiful landscape of the island.
PS-I love reading your blog!

http://annaelizabethpoole.blogspot.com