Saturday 26 November 2011

Farmers Market Morning...



There's something about hanging out in a farmers market that makes one feel warm and fuzzy inside, don't you find? Well, this morning - that's exactly how I'm feeling after my expedition to the Bangalow Farmer's Market - held every Saturday behind the pub (if you're visiting...) where I bought these lovely tomatoes from the Coopers Shoot tomato clan (aren't they heavenly...) Living on a farm - I know how much work goes into such things - it takes a lot of toil, commitment and love to grow anything particularly the food that we eat - beautiful, healthy, non-toxic, taste good food... We are so lucky to have many committed growers living around the environs of Byron Bay... These growers grow fresh, bountiful, organic produce - good, beautiful food. Let's face it - there's not much in the way of $$ if you're a grower - and so the love of growing is the real motivation for many of these producers. It's a tough, non-glamorous life - and so every time I visit the market I tip my hat to these people who have made the commitment to grow... And every time I prepare farmers market produce, I think of them, with a smile... I was concerned when I recently heard that the life of the farmers market is under threat by way of new legislation that is creeping through - effectively allowing large supermarket chains and similar to sell their wares in a farmers market environment... Whilst I'm all for choice - I think it's such a shame that the sacred ground of the farmers market could soon be monopolized by super-sized suppliers... How will our much loved smaller producers survive, I ask? We have so little control over much of what goes on in our day to day lives these days - to know that the food that we eat has come from the farm to our tables - with little traveling time in between - is simply one of the most joyous aspects of living... I would go so far as to say that it's our right as human beings to have a clear idea as to where the food we eat has come from... At its core, the farmers market environment provides us with some kind of faith in the food chain. What a shame it would be if we lost this to big business too... Please remember to support your local farmers market if you have one near by - every bite you take will be worth the effort you've made to get there... And in the process you will be allowing smaller producers to continue to survive on the land... Happy Weekend all....

2 comments:

heathsoldwarescollectables.blogspot.com/ said...

Here! Here! Heaths Old Wares could not agree more....destroying our food bowl for monetary gain is a short sighted and polarised view.

red ticking said...

i get all warm and fuzzy... everytime... great post shannon... xoxo