Wednesday 24 June 2009

Where Do I Begin...


I was invited recently to give a talk on decorating and how it can nourish your home and your life. Here's a little peek...

I'm often asked where does one begin when they are hoping to embark on their own decorating journey. What I've learnt is that the trick is simply... to begin! To immerse yourself in the process of it. To make it a passion. Look around you for inspiration. See it as a joy rather than be overwhelmed by it. The rest will come in time. Begin a file of your loves and the things that inspire you - and as an editor might cut and paste their ideas together to create a magazine - so too does a budding decorator. I find that breaking down all of the elements of design into bite sized chunks and concentrating on developing one aspect of decorating at a time works best. For me, the ideal place to begin would be with colour. Although colour can be a tricky subject matter to wrangle - once you have your head around which types of colours you like and can live with - and that suit your home home environment - then this will guide many of your other decorating choices. One you have a good sense of the colours you love then your choices of pattering, texture and detail are easier to make.....

pic from rice

17 comments:

beachvintage.com said...

These are great tips. I like when you said "just begin". Sometimes we can keep putting off and thinking too much and nothing gets started.

Rajee Sood said...

Hi Shannon,
It was great that I read your post ...I am often asked the same question ... where does one decide to begin from ... the inhibitions of a newbe are quite different from the way we as a designer may think .
You are right ... it is all about starting ... just starting.
Thanks Shannon.

The House That A-M Built said...

So true Shannon. It is so nice to have begun.... to have a starting point.. the place echos..... but I have STARTED! A-M xx

Black Zebra said...

Yes....one must just start and enjoy the journey :-)

Sofia said...

To begin is the key indeed:) And that's an advice for life, not just decoration.

I feel so guilty right now:P
Your blog is so inviting and fresh, thank you:)

And oh, I'm in love with the strong blue of the chair:D

Unknown said...

I find that a useful way also is to surround yourself with inspiration. I was always fascinated by all the design inspirations in magazines growing up. Then when I started my job at the boutique, I spent a lot of time working with design, and even setting up the shop. The more you work with design, the better you become.

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

Porchlight Interiors said...

Well put Shannon! Tracey xx

Josephine Tale Peddler said...

I am going to have to start ripping up some of my design magazines I've been hoarding for an inspiration file! I wouldn't normally tell anybody to have a peep at my Blog but if you get the chance please pop over, Shannon. This week I did a post on Mirka Mora and I know you love her as well! I found an old Inside Out magazine where you wrote about her book Love and Clutter. I'm still kicking myself I didn't buy it at the time as it's difficult to find. I will however. I can always track a book I love! Thank you for the tips. Your inspiration is always valued. x

Samy said...

Very well worded--great post!

{oc cottage} said...

Well, I am adoring the color of that wall!!!!

m ^..^

Lisa Harman said...

Yes I agree! A few days ago I noticed a red cabbage growing in our vegetable patch and realised that the outer leaves were the exact colour I was looking for. I now have a great sideboard painted in the softest shade of bluey green (much to the amusement of the man in the paint shop when I asked for a paint match to the leaf!)

Shannon Fricke said...

I love your style L&L - would love to see a pic of your sideboard. The colour sounds divine.
sx

Lisa Harman said...

Hi Shannon.If you go to my blog
http://lisa-harman.blogspot.com you can see my sideboard and other things I make.Thanks Lisa

Stella said...

Beautiful Shannon...

Michelle said...

Love this post too - very wise words

Heidi said...

Thanks for the great words of advice. Heidi

Studio LOFF said...

Nice house! And I LOVE this blog.

Natascha
Mocca & Me blog