Sunday 21 June 2009

Perfectly Balanced....





I find that the one aspect of interior decorating that is the most daunting is working out when enough is.... enough! When does detail topple over into clutter? Or at what point does a minimalist space just feel a little too empty? Balance is all about feeling harmonious in a space and how we feel in our homes is different for everybody. And so there are no hard and fast rules in this regard. I find that the best indicator is your gut instinct - stop, look and feel. Are you at peace in your space? If you feel like you're living with too many things then you know it's time to par back. On the other hand, if you feel as though you're swimming in a fish bowl - then it's time to go shopping! When in doubt - turn to the Europeans (particularly the Nordic kind!) - as they always get it right!

pics from here

10 comments:

beachvintage.com said...

I find it really hard to know when to stop, but its usually afterwards when I am sitting down and just "observing" the room.

Unknown said...

It's the common symptom for all designers. We have so much ideas about the space we are recreating, and we just want to try them all. But when we take a break, and come back, we often find ourselves taking down about a third of what we put up.

Nicolette
http://www.furnitureanddesignideas.com/

Amanda said...

This is a great post Shannon! I think it's hard to find the right balance.

Do you think this applies when it comes to decorating spaces for kids?

x Amanda

mimi charmante said...

I love this post because although I really dislike clutter, I love the look of a well-displayed collection. I am such a fan of the Scandinavians - they seem to have nailed the mixture of welcoming comfort and simplicity, don't you think? I find that I am always aspiring to find that perfect balance~
xo

Patrice said...

Very good post!The pictures are nice

Kellie Collis said...

That gut feel tells me alot things! It is very useful :)

Brown Button Trading said...

these images are a perfect balance - oh how I aspire to get the perfect balance! fabulous thought provoking post Shannon, thank you x

orange sugar home said...

gorgeous living room!! I always struggle with when enough is enough - especially since I like so many different styles.

Nadine said...

I strive for balance - but alas can't always seem to get it right!
Nadinex

laura dellaporta said...

love your pictures... some of then I have in my inspiration book...glad I found your lovely blog. xoxo Laura