Thursday 6 August 2009

Enchanted....



I was thrilled to have been approached by my friends Olivia and Adam last year, to help them re-design and decorate their home in the hinterland of Byron Bay. The couple have such innate style, but had lost their way a little after the birth of their two sons and hoped that I'd be able to help them tie together their previous renovation with a new vision for the design and decoration of their home - one that would serve both the functional needs of a young family but also fuel and inspire them. Olivia and Adam are a very creatively minded couple, with many great ideas. My job was to first establish what those ideas were, then to work out how they are living in their home and then how they hoped to be living once the re-design was finished. Then it was a matter of editing down those ideas and adding a few of my own - to create a style and a palette that reflected who they are and how they want to live.



I find that the first thing that needs addressing in any home re-design is storage. Most houses don't have enough, especially old weatherboards such as this one - and without adequate storage, homes tend to become cluttered and downright messy in some cases. Anyone with small children will know that they accumulate many things - if those things don't have a home to return to, then they are left out in the open collecting dust and friends! So, before we could tackle the fun stuff - we needed to build in some storage. This was first and foremost in my mind with the design of the kitchen - a sleek, white functional space. Adam loves cooking and so building in enough bench space was a priority. From there, we built in rows of drawers (not cupboards) as the drawers are easier to organise and keep tidy. Apart from the kitchen, cupboard space was built throughout the whole house, in the form of a TV cabinet (with drawers and always doors) and Max's room was turned into storage heaven with a built in bed housing drawers, cupboards and some open shelving for display purposes all designed by Adam.


Once the storage was sorted, then it was onto the walls (painted Dulux White On White) and the floorboards (stained chocolate floorboards in the living areas and carpet in the bedrooms). The boards in the new 'glasshouse' room (which is a built in deck) were transformed using a light white wash.



Then the fun stuff! Olivia loves sunny yellow and so it was a priority to incorporate yellow into the decoration of the home - and so it, along with my favourite peacock green velvet with splashes of chocolate became the base colours used throughout almost every room. Of course, Florence Broadhurst is the star here - in the fabrics and wallpaper - but I'm also just completely in love with the Kenzo floral too. For this home - it was all about combining a touch of glamour against a simple backdrop to create spaces that were relaxed but still inspiring to live amongst.

I'm so excited that the house has made the cover of this months Inside Out magazine (with a feature inside) - particularly because this issue marks the first for their redesign - which I'm sooo in love with.

And to celebrate I thought it might be fun to do a give away. I've got five copies of this issue of Inside Out to give away. Just leave me a comment (with your name attached) - I'll throw all the names into a hat and pick the winners at the end of August. Good luck everyone.

all pics by the lovely Prue Ruscoe

52 comments:

maxK said...

There's that perfect turquoise again! What is it? I must have it!

Love, love, love this house. It's young and stylish without flopping over into the dreaded "faddish."

Paula Norman said...

Oh Shannon, I just got my Inside Out edition in the mail and what an amazing job you have done - you are truly so talented!! As a young mum with a love of home decorating I am so inspired by your fresh approach and ability to mesh just the right colours and furnishings. It is gorgeous! Paula Norman

Unknown said...

Oh, nice job!

mondocherry said...

The house looks fantastic - I particularly love Max's bed with all that storage and the wallpaper covered headboard/wall. Storage is definitely what I need at my place - my old Queenslander doesn't have nearly enough for a couple with slight hoarding tendencies and 5 children!
Clare x

Viv said...

House looks beautiful. Can't wait to see more...!
Vivien

wakako said...

I especially love the bedroom with wall paper. So crisp and refreshing. Thank you so much for sharing!
-wakako

Flick said...

Hi, you have done an amazing job! I love your style as it always inspires me! I really like the way you worked together to get the right look, and you are sooo right about the lack of storage, a constant battle.
cheers, Flick

Mel/The Organic Mamas said...

Sotrage, storage, storage.....that is my mantra whilst dreaming about the layout of my dream house. What a beautiful house and inspired design. Thanks for the inspiration.
Mel

Barb Fisher - Hopscotch said...

Great to read about your thought/design process Shannon, and I agree - it's all about the storage!

Congratulations on making the cover. Such a beautiful fresh home is the perfect way for Inside Out to launch their freshened up look.

(PS - No need to include me in the draw for the mag, my copy is already well loved and dog eared!)

Heidi said...

Your interiors are so calming because they are studies of nature, brought inside and enhanced against the backdrop of white walls and dark floors. I love the mix of fabrics you put together so effortlessly and wonder if you can recommend any organically produced options??

belinda said...

ahh! i got on here to ask you what white paint colour was used on the interior walls and i see you've already answered my question. it's a beautiful home - well done! lucky people having you in their life!

Kellie Collis said...

The Broadhurst print works beautifully!

Sharnel said...

beautiful, clean palette. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely job, Shannon. Everything you do is so calm and beautiful. Are you going to sign the copies? That would be cool.

Unknown said...

I just want to thank you for shearing your work with us "out there".It is true inspiration!

Have a wonderful evning.

:)

Bedroom Furniture said...

So bright and beautiful An enchanting design.

Clare Carter said...

Its a wonderful home you have created with this couple.I first saw their home on the Taverne Agency site so was thrilled to see it on paper in the new issue.Well done!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love this house. LOVE the way I feel when i look at these pics!!! Love reading your thought/design process... Oh to be able to house all my 'homeless' belongings... Thanks for the inspiration.

M said...

oh my gosh, if i ever in my whole entire life own a peacock coloured couch like that i will leave this world so very very happy... xx

Romana said...

I adore that peacock shade and can't wait to see the issue - well done!

Romana

Anonymous said...

Your work inspires me..... Your words inspire me. I want a couch just like that !!!!
Giovanna

Paint Me White said...

Hi Shannon please enter me in your giveaway - can't wait to read this issue. Sandy

Kasey said...

gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Love it!! So fresh and inspiring.

Anonymous said...

love love love this house, very calming and inspiring, i am very proud of myself as i usually would have already bought the latest issue of inside out, but as i am going to bali in 8 weeks time (and counting), iam am going to lie by the pool at Sanur and read my copy from cover to cover (my idea of heaven).
I also would love to know where you got the peacock blue couch from, and is this the same you have in your own home, as owning one of these would also be my idea of heaven.
Thanks for the inspiration
Danielle

Anonymous said...

I already have a copy of the mag too, and I loved this house. I love the colours against the white, it looks very fresh.

I am currently renovating my own place and Im curious as to what is behind the floral wallpaper wall in the bedroom, is that the walk in robe or cupboards or just space?? I am thinking of doing something similar.

Thanx

MJB

Verimaz said...

is it a kenzo material on the armchairs? i love the sense of fun it brings to the white room.

Nadine said...

What beautiful rooms you have created.
Nadine

Stella said...

I love it, I love it, I love it....

Julie at Belle Vivir said...

The result is simply beautiful. Great job.

Courtney said...

I love the chairs in the first photograph, and really the whole color scheme. It's lovely and quite livable!

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS HOUSE. the colours are great!! xx

Porchlight Interiors said...

What a gorgeous job you have done with this home Shannon! I love the touches of yellow throughout - such a happy/fresh feel to it! Tracey xx

Anonymous said...

Shannon, the house is stunning and unique and really looks like a very loved home. I really enjoyed reading the magazine article. Your talent for coming up with out-of-the-ordinary colour combinations is amazing. Your colour book gave me the confidence to use some really beautiful colours when decorating my home.
If you can show any more photos of this beautiful house I would love to see them.

Anonymous said...

Main bedroom is glorious & the little cut-out in the wall for books etc is an innovative idea, such a breezy, coastal feel for the entire house with the colours you chose. The ottoman in the loungeroom is just superb. Lovely blog Shannon.

maureen ryan said...

god i love chartreuse and peacock. ESPECIALLY together. amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, wow, wow!

Anonymous said...

Love it, very similar to your own home Shannon!

Paula McPherson said...

Wow - you sure do know how to put it all together. Love all the different textures - fantastic job.

Rebecca said...

So bright yet calm, a perfect balance. If only you could create such magic in our house!

Viera said...

Shannon, you did a fantastic job. The house is so chic and hommy. Fantastic colour touches.
X
V

Unknown said...

Hi Shannon
Congratulations on your amazing editorial piece in the Sept/ Oct 09 issue of Inside Out! I was so excited to have read your blog the week before that I had received my mag in the post! Then to my happiness shortly after I was able to absorb your fabulous colour & styling work in this beautiful home of your friends in these lush surroundings of the Byron Bay hinterland...that I had to post a blog on it! You're a real inspiration to me [and so many others] and I just love seeing all your work.
Take care & thanks again
Sarah x
www.palatialliving.blogspot.com
www.verandahhomeliving.biz

Fi said...

What is it about turquoise, green, peacock, seafoam, the whole spectrum of this colour range, that makes the heart sing so? Is it the connection to nature? All I know is that I am completely addicted and so happy to see others out there embracing the beauty of these tones in their homes. Colour dynamics are so fascinating and it's great to see some brave choices work so well in this interior.
p.s. the jasper conran chinoiserrie range is right up there with limoges for me too!
Please keep blogging.

Anna Bartlett said...

The Kenzo armchairs will be a gorgeous background for the memories bound to be created in this lovely home. Congratulations.

Nicole Cantero said...

Great article, the house looks amazing. I think Byron Bay is calling my name too.

Erin said...

I just found your blog and love it! Thanks for all the great advice.

Erin

maya said...

love it love it love it!

Anonymous said...

So fresh! Different from other work I've seen from you but still with your flair. I have your "Sense of Style: Colour" and would LOVE to read this magazine, too. Being in the hinterlands of the U.S. (St. Louis), it's not easy to find Australian goodies. That said, you're my favorite designer because of your own style as well as your philosophy of drawing primarily from your clients aesthetics and plans for daily life.
All the best,
MMFinan

Kaitlyn said...

beautiful color palette.
_kaitlyn

Engracia said...

LOVE the house, the colous a re amazing against the white. Can you tell me what is the green you used in Max's room? I would like to use the same colour in my son's room

Villa Anna said...

Shannon, that teal couch is heavenly! What a beautiful home.

Anna :)

Kell said...

I have been recommended by one of your clients to check out your website. WOW, you create wonderful work, this house has been given a whole new life. Well done.