Sunday 11 March 2012

Escape The Everyday....















Hello my dear friends... Life has been fabulously fun of late - as we've been working on some very exciting new projects at The Little Cottage which are finally coming to fruition! Those of you work in the creative way will know well that it takes time for things to happen... Projects require love and tending over the long haul before they are ready to be set free into the wider world... Well, I have a couple of projects almost ready to fly and I can't wait to tell you more... Watch the blog over the next few weeks to see snippets of my new book (I'm sooo excited about this one!) and also my new range of Shannon Fricke Bedlinen. Yes... Bedlinen! I've been a lover of all things bedlinen for so many years - and so it seemed like a natural place to extend on my product range ( my Free Range ceramics)... We've been working away for the past 12 months to create a range that is EXACTLY as I want it to be - a range that reflects the carefree and inspiring lifestyle that I live and love everyday... So watch this space all - as I'll be posting pics from the photographic campaign (photographed by none other than the tireless Prue Ruscoe at my little studio up at the farm)... But that's not all! Watch this space as - we're putting the finishing touches on the new Shannon Fricke website - a one stop spot for hearing all our news, shopping the range, and booking into our workshop dates. Due to go live beginning of April...

In the meantime, I want to share with a you a recent project that I've been working on close to home - a small hotel refurb in beautiful Byron Bay... I was chuffed and slightly overwhelmed when I was approached to work on the refurb and fit out of what is now known as the Bayshore Bungalows in Byron Bay... An existing site (at north Belongil) - which hadn't been updated since it was first built in the late 70s/80s (think brown brick and pine raking ceilings!)... the Bayshore Bungalows was in desperate need of some tender loving care to bring it up to the now. The brief was to make it fresh, exciting and relevant without losing that wonderful, down-to-earth, been here for years vibe that Byron Bay is famous for... I love a challenge - and what really drew me to this project is the clients desire to 'tread lightly and with respect' for what came before. Of course, it's often easier to knock down and rebuild something that is seen as outdated - but not nearly as fun. The Bayshore Bungalows are quirky buildings (originally brown brick - be inspired those of you with a brown brick bungalow!) with a great feeling - and so the team and I set about giving them some life.
A palette of white walls and neutrals were the ideal backdrop to layer the muted, worn palette of blues and greens that became the essential accents. Been there before details such as sand sieves, oars, ropes and glass buoys give the space a down-to-earth attitude and a wonderful warmth. All topped off with artwork by local artist Potts - and you have a smooth, carefree interior that begs you to stay a little longer.
If you're coming to Byron Bay then check out the Bayshore Bungalows - the location is ideal - far enough out of town to be truly relaxing but close enough to the action of Byron. And Belongil beach (a stroll down the road) is a stretch of paradise... Check out their website here - also worth noting for those of you with a wedding coming up - that the bungalows are attached to the North Byron Events (which is a beautiful wedding location right on the beach).

Check back in everybody as I have more news to tell you! Namely, I'm in NYC - and I had dinner with the gorgeous Holly Becker and Amy Atlas last night!!! Watch this space...

all pics here by Alicia Taylor

10 comments:

JOE. D said...

Oh my Shannon .. that was a very exciting post to read 1st up on a Sunday morning. Can't wait to see/read more.

Have a great trip (-:

Kylie Tyrrell said...

oooh Shannon, I had wondered what you were up to. I am thrilled to hear you will be doing your workshops again soon - I am desperate to book myself in for one! lovely fitout - cant wait to see what you have been up to. Kylie from Gold Chalk

beachvintage.com said...

I am googling them right now!

Scandi Coast Home Australia said...

Can't wait to see all the projects in the works, and the new book!
.................................
Tania Maree xx

Busana Muslim said...

WONDERFUL Post.thanks for share..

Rachel Callaghan said...

LOVE the interiors of the bungalows you have done. Stunning references to nautical but in such a fresh interior. Gorgeous. Really inspiring for seaside homes. Rx

Anonymous said...

Love the white raked ceilings and colour scheme/decor you have done, just gorgeous :) I would love to see some before photos of it all as one day I'd love to do up an old 70's/80's house with the raked ceilings as I think they have great character and can look fabulous done all white like you have :)

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's beautiful. I just love white raked ceilings. I would love to do up an old house with wooden beams etc one day... Do you have any before photos? Marnie :)

leah of sang the bird said...

I was smitten with the idea of S.F bedlinen and further taken in by your dinner with Holly.... So exciting! xxx

Kellie Collis said...

What a lovely home! Have a great time in NYC! Kellie xx